HLS Dissertations, Theses, and JD Papers
S.j.d. dissertations, ll.m. papers, ll.m. theses, j.d. papers, submitting your paper to an online collection, other sources for student papers beyond harvard, getting help, introduction.
This is a guide to finding Harvard Law School (“HLS”) student-authored works held by the Library and in online collections. This guide covers HLS S.J.D Dissertations, LL.M. papers, J.D. third-year papers, seminar papers, and prize papers.
There have been changes in the HLS degree requirements for written work. The library’s collection practices and catalog descriptions for these works has varied. Please note that there are gaps in the library’s collection and for J.D. papers, few of these works are being collected any longer.
If we have an S.J.D. dissertation or LL.M. thesis, we have two copies. One is kept in the general collection and one in the Red Set, an archival collection of works authored by HLS affiliates. If we have a J.D. paper, we have only one copy, kept in the Red Set. Red Set copies are last resort copies available only by advance appointment in Historical and Special Collections .
Some papers have not been processed by library staff. If HOLLIS indicates a paper is “ordered-received” please use this form to have library processing completed.
The HLS Doctor of Juridical Science (“S.J.D.”) program began in 1910. The library collection of these works is not comprehensive. Exceptions are usually due to scholars’ requests to withhold Library deposit.
- HLS S.J.D. Dissertations in HOLLIS To refine these search results by topic or faculty advisor, or limit by date, click Add a New Line.
- Hein’s Legal Theses and Dissertations Microfiche Mic K556.H45x Drawers 947-949 This microfiche set includes legal theses and dissertations from HLS and other premier law schools. It currently includes about 300 HLS dissertations and theses.
- Hein's Legal Theses and Dissertations Contents List This content list is in order by school only, not by date, subject or author. It references microfiche numbers within the set housed in the Microforms room on the entry level of the library, drawers 947-949. The fiche are a different color for each institution.
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses @ Harvard University (Harvard login) Copy this search syntax: dg(S.J.D.) You will find about 130 SJD Dissertations dated from 1972 to 2004. They are not available in full text.
- DASH Digital Access to Scholarship at Harvard Sponsored by Harvard University’s Office for Scholarly Communication, DASH is an open repository for research papers by members of the Harvard community. There are currently about 600 HLS student papers included. Unfortunately it is not possible to search by type of paper or degree awarded.
The Master of Laws (“LL.M.”) degree has been awarded since 1923. Originally, the degree required completion of a major research paper, akin to a thesis. Since 1993, most students have the option of writing the LL.M. "short paper." This is a 25-page (or longer) paper advised by a faculty supervisor or completed in conjunction with a seminar. Fewer LL.M. candidates continue to write the more extensive "long-paper." LL.M. candidates holding J.D.s from the U.S. must write the long paper.
- HLS Written Work Requirements for LL.M. Degree The current explanation of the LL.M. written work requirement for the master of laws.
The library generally holds HLS LL.M. long papers and short papers. In recent years, we require author release in order to do so. In HOLLIS, no distinction is made between types of written work created in satisfaction of the LL.M. degree; all are described as LL.M. thesis. Though we describe them as thesis, the law school refers to them solely as papers or in earlier years, essays. HOLLIS records indicate the number of pages, so at the record level, it is possible to distinguish long papers.
- HLS LL.M. Papers in HOLLIS To refine these search results by topic, faculty advisor, seminar or date, click Add a New Line.
HLS LL.M. Papers are sometimes available in DASH and Hein's Legal Dissertations and Theses. See descriptions above .
The HLS J.D. written work requirement has changed over time. The degree formerly required a substantial research paper comparable in scope to a law review article written under faculty supervision, the "third year paper." Since 2008, J.D. students have the option of using two shorter works instead.
Of all those written, the library holds relatively few third-year papers. They were not actively collected but accepted by submission from faculty advisors who deemed a paper worthy of institutional retention. The papers are described in HOLLIS as third year papers, seminar papers, and student papers. Sometimes this distinction was valid, but not always. The faculty deposit tradition more or less ended in 2006, though the possibility of deposit still exists.
- J.D. Written Work Requirement
- Faculty Deposit of Student Papers with the Library
HLS Third Year Papers in HOLLIS
To refine these search results by topic, faculty advisor, seminar or date, click Add a New Line.
- HLS Student Papers Some third-year papers and LL.M. papers were described in HOLLIS simply as student papers. To refine these search results, click "Add a New Line" and add topic, faculty advisor, or course title.
- HLS Seminar Papers Note that these include legal research pathfinders produced for the Advanced Legal Research course when taught by Virginia Wise.
HLS has many endowed prizes for student papers and essays. There are currently 16 different writing prizes. See this complete descriptive list with links to lists of winners from 2009 to present. Note that there is not always a winner each year for each award. Prize winners are announced each year in the commencement pamphlet.
The Library has not specifically collected prize papers over the years but has added copies when possible. The HOLLIS record for the paper will usually indicate its status as a prize paper. The most recent prize paper was added to the collection in 2006.
Addison Brown Prize Animal Law & Policy Program Writing Prize Victor Brudney Prize Davis Polk Legal Profession Paper Prize Roger Fisher and Frank E.A. Sander Prize Yong K. Kim ’95 Memorial Prize Islamic Legal Studies Program Prize on Islamic Law Laylin Prize LGBTQ Writing Prize Mancini Prize Irving Oberman Memorial Awards John M. Olin Prize in Law and Economics Project on the Foundations of Private Law Prize Sidney I. Roberts Prize Fund Klemens von Klemperer Prize Stephen L. Werner Prize
- Harvard Law School Prize Essays (1850-1868) A historical collection of handwritten prize essays covering the range of topics covered at that time. See this finding aid for a collection description.
The following information about online repositories is not a recommendation or endorsement to participate.
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses HLS is not an institutional participant to this collection. If you are interested in submitting your work, refer to these instructions and note that there is a fee required, which varies depending on the format of submission.
- EBSCO Open Dissertations Relatively new, this is an open repository of metadata for dissertations. It is an outgrowth of the index American Doctoral Dissertations. The aim is to cover 1933 to present and, for modern works, to link to full text available in institutional repositories. Harvard is not one of the institutional participants.
- DASH Digital Access to Scholarship at Harvard
Sponsored by Harvard University’s Office for Scholarly Communication, this is an open repository for research papers by members of the Harvard community. See more information about the project.
Some HLS students have submitted their degree paper to DASH. If you would like to submit your paper, you may use this authorization form or contact June Casey , Librarian for Open Access Initiatives and Scholarly Communication at Harvard Law School.
- ProQuest Dissertations and Theses (Harvard Login) Covers dissertations and masters' theses from North American graduate schools and many worldwide. Provides full text for many since the 1990s and has descriptive data for older works.
- NDLTD Networked Digital Library of Theses and Dissertations Union Catalog Worldwide in scope, NDLTD contains millions of records of electronic theses and dissertations from the early 1900s to the present.
- Law Commons of the Digital Commons Network The Law Commons has dissertations and theses, as well as many other types of scholarly research such as book chapters and conference proceedings. They aim to collect free, full-text scholarly work from hundreds of academic institutions worldwide.
- EBSCO Open Dissertations Doctoral dissertations from many institutions. Free, open repository.
- Dissertations from Center for Research Libraries Dissertations found in this resource are available to the Harvard University Community through Interlibrary Loan.
- British Library EThOS Dissertation source from the British Library listing doctoral theses awarded in the UK. Some available for immediate download and some others may be requested for scanning.
- BASE from Bielefeld University Library Index of the open repositoris of most academic institutions. Includes many types of documents including doctoral and masters theses.
Ask Us! Submit a question or search our knowledge base.
Chat with us! Chat with a librarian (HLS only)
Email: [email protected]
Contact Historical & Special Collections at [email protected]
Meet with Us Schedule an online consult with a Librarian
Hours Library Hours
Classes View Training Calendar or Request an Insta-Class
Text Ask a Librarian, 617-702-2728
Call Reference & Research Services, 617-495-4516
- Last Updated: Sep 12, 2023 10:46 AM
- URL: https://guides.library.harvard.edu/studentpapers
Harvard University Digital Accessibility Policy
- Write my thesis
- Thesis writers
- Buy thesis papers
- Bachelor thesis
- Master's thesis
- Thesis editing services
- Thesis proofreading services
- Buy a thesis online
- Write my dissertation
- Dissertation proposal help
- Pay for dissertation
- Custom dissertation
- Dissertation help online
- Buy dissertation online
- Cheap dissertation
- Dissertation editing services
- Write my research paper
- Buy research paper online
- Pay for research paper
- Research paper help
- Order research paper
- Custom research paper
- Cheap research paper
- Research papers for sale
- Thesis subjects
- How It Works
160+ Outstanding Law Dissertation Topics for Students
If you are a university student studying law, you would know that it is both, exciting and stressful to work on dissertations because law dissertation topics or help with dissertation are not easy to select.
While students can pick a topic that interests them, good thesis topics for law, students would be the ones that offer ample scope for research and study. It is vital to keep in mind that dissertations tend to get lengthy; therefore, your topic should also be a subject you can manage to finish working on within the time you have at hand. Given below are some exciting topics that you can explore for your law school thesis.
Business Law Dissertation Topics
Business law, also known as commercial law, focuses on the legal aspects of the conduct, rights, and relations of individuals or organizations that engage in commerce, trade, and merchandising activities. Therefore, commercial law masters thesis topics have a broad scope as they revolve around important and relatable aspects guiding society and trade. Here are some exciting business law topics to write about. Take a look:
- Business laws against corruption within firms — an in-depth evaluation
- Commercial Law and its effectiveness in supporting commercial transactions.
- Copyright Infringement – Understanding the difference between online and offline law enforcement.
- Business partnerships: Threats, legal remedies, and results
- Commercial laws guiding energy projects within the country and a comparison with top countries globally.
- Online advertising – working within the framework and guidelines of Advertising Law
- US commercial laws: A review on what needs to change
- Legal framework guiding unfair advertising and marketing practices – a case study analysis
- Business wills — application, significance, and role in translations of Business Law
- Domestic vs International commercial laws of five countries
- Pre-incorporation contracts – a thorough analysis
- International commercial law programs: An assessment of their effectiveness as part of the University curriculum
- Importance of investigating a business’s application for Copyright and Trademark
- Arbitration under commercial law: In-depth analysis and evaluation of policy practice
- Evaluating anti-corruption regulations for businesses through a relevant case study
- Laws governing Corporate Social Responsibility for businesses and their evaluation
- Termination agreements — application, significance, and role in business transactions
- The Law of Contracts — Interpretations and Role in Business Transactions
- Director’s Guarantee – Its role in Business law and the Structure of Transactions
- What is the role of a Business Entity concerning Commercial Law – An analysis
- Contract Laws and an evaluation of the application of Verbal or Nonverbal Agreements
- The role of Commercial Law in establishing a business framework within the society
- The legislature and its role in the interpretation and working of contracts
- Commercial Vs RegularLease – Analysing the pros and cons for the businesses
- Commercial lease – Significance, difficulties, and importance for business owners
International Law Thesis Topics
International law is an important area of interest when it comes to thesis writing. You can focus on studying the legal aspects of economic trade, businesses during the war, global pandemics, and more. Ethics and human rights play a significant role in international matters. Here are some excellent international law research topics to explore:
- Hearings on cases in International Human Rights Court — What precedence says
- Challenges faced by parties involved in contracts related to the International Sale of Goods (CISG) when the Vienna Convention is applied.
- What do the future hold for internet legislation and digital laws
- Are International Tribunals effective in taking action against war crimes?
- An in-depth analysis of various conditions under which international intervention in trade or matters of general affairs of a country is permitted by law
- International criminal laws — an assessment of the underlying principles and need for change
- Human rights law: An international perspective on gaps that need to be addressed
- Violation of Laws and Human Rights when the US got involved in matters of Iraq – An analysis
- Enforcement of international laws in developing countries – Issues, justification, and remedies
- Military cooperation between the UK and the US to address terror — A historical perspective and future analysis
- What are the civil liberties in International law and how do they impact public safety
- Post-Brexit era — where does consumer protection stand?
- Laws ensuring the protection of civilians against unlawful communication during armed conflicts between countries
- International laws governing rescue and protection of human rights of refugees at sea
- International civil jurisdiction on transborder disputes related to the infringement of intellectual property rights — a comprehensive study
Criminal law thesis topics
The study of Criminal law comprises understanding the laws that govern the prosecution of individuals who have committed crimes as defined by law. When you select law master thesis topics based on criminal law, you can choose law enforcement topics related to drug dealing, manslaughter, kidnapping, and more. Some examples are shared below:
- Female and male rape legislations: An in-depth evaluation of critical differences
- Using lie detectors _ an assessment of their efficacy in criminal justice
- Are manslaughter laws possible to misuse — what are the remedies to protect such victims?
- A detailed analysis of crime-related factors best not presented in the court of law and why?
- Witness protection – laws, guidelines, and measures against retaliation
- Death Penalty – History, justification, and analysis
- Criminal theory – A thematic review to explore the connection between morality and crime
- Challenges in identification of the nature of crime and its distribution — an in-depth analysis based on a case study
- Is anatomy justified in lawsuits related to sexual offenses — evaluating the rights of the victim and the defendant
- Legal rights — striking a balance between the rights of the victim and the defendant during the lawsuit
- What are the implications of the war against terror — Enforcement of criminal law and its implications
- A case study analysis of the war against terror
- A case study analysis of racial prejudice in prison
- Religious laws and crimes in developing nations
- Police interrogations – Principles, legal framework, and human rights
Child in conflict with the law thesis topics
These topics are related to the study of issues and laws concerning children who conflict with the law due to committing juvenile crimes.
- Legal protection and rights of children in cases of a child in conflict with the law
- Children in conflict with the law in metro cities and the legal framework guiding the handling of such cases
- Improving the legal protection available for children in conflict with the law
- An in-depth study of the measures available to reintegrate children in conflict with the law into the society
- Laws to facilitate the rehabilitation of children in conflict with the law
- Exploitation and abuse of children in conflict with the law and remedies to prevent it
- Procedures in court for children in conflict with the law
- Violence and exploitation leading children into conflict with the law – Case study analysis
- Human rights and laws supporting children affected by illegal migration
- Analyzing children’s rights against harmful work and economic exploitation
Controversial law topics
As a college student, there will be umpteen issues that will spark debates and encourage you to take a stance either for or against. These may include constitutional law paper topics or laws on sensitive matters that have triggered global emotions. Here are some such topics to explore:
- Reviewing the need for the Gun Law
- Abortion – Pro-choice or pro-life the legal angles
- Understanding religious freedom by law and the freedom of choice to deny service based on religion
- Prescription of addictive opioids as legal painkillers — the justification and after effects
- The legal framework guiding animal research
- Vaccine administration from the perspective of legal implications, compliance and non-compliance, herd immunity, and parental duty
- Right to privacy – the conflict between individual privacy Vs public safety
- Freemarket capitalization – government regulations vs free trade
- Environment support policies, government regulations, and economic costs
- Uniform minimum wage system — controversy, legal parameters, and remedies
- White supremacy — a political ideology that affects the legal and economic framework
- Legalizing marijuana for medicinal and recreational usage
- Capital punishment and its legal justification
- The Marriage Equality Act – Rights and responsibilities in same-sex marriages
- Black lives matter — an insight into the lack of political or legal repercussions for death in custody
- Immigration restrictions and reforms – scope for improvement and change
- The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program and upholding deportation protection
- Temporary blocking of international students during the Corona Virus Pandemic – Legal implications
- Transgender rights — Remedies against discrimination and injustice caused by inequality
- Islamic Criminal law vis a vis Human Rights — an analysis.
Sports law topics
Sport is an ever-intriguing subject, and it offers some interesting legal topics for dissertation writing. Your topic can cover international sports laws, rules and regulations guiding sports, sporting bodies, their jurisdiction, and more.
- Cheerleading teams — negligence across different case studies
- Sports law implications on cases of doping in international events
- Legal aspects of international sporting events and the role of social media
- The transnational perspective of sports management – an overview
- Bosman Rulings – The EU Sports law and its international implications
- The management of club sports in the UK and related laws
- Match-fixing in football and sports laws governing the same
- Match-fixing in cricket and international sports laws governing the same
- Sportspersons marketing – Reviewing legal issues and influences
- Sports promotion aids in the UK, US, and EU — legal implications
- Legal aspects related to governance and monitoring of sports organizations
- Sports laws on lifestyle sports – a review
- National governing bodies of sports and their legal stance
- The role and impact of labor contracts concerning UK sporting bodies
- Policies and practices of the US sports law
- Visa systems for international sportspersons and problems faced by them
- Constitutional rights of student-athletes
- Sexual harassment in sports and laws against it
- Policies aiding the promotion and protection of rights of transgender athletes
- Coaches’ contract and employment laws
Hot thesis topics in employment law
Employment law offers some very interesting law topics to work on. Under this, you can write your dissertation on labor laws, worker compensation, immigration laws, minimum wages, wrongful termination, and many such research topics in law.
- How employment laws convergence with religion in the US
- UK employment laws — A before and after comparison after exiting the EU
- UK Trade Unions and their impact — challenges and successes
- A review of unfair dismissal laws in the UK
- Employment laws in the UK and US automobile industry — A comparative study
- Employment contracts in the UK manufacturing industry — A comprehensive study of job satisfaction
- Issues with application and enforcement of laws in international firms: A case study
- Agency workers — employment rights and legal status in firms
- US ‘Fire at will’ employment ability and should it be made possible in the UK.
- Social work employment — Reviewing all legal aspects through a case study
- Employee dismissal — a comparison of UK and EU laws.
- Working parents and the benefits of Flexibility Working Regulations 2002
- Gender differences in employment laws and regulations across the US and the UK.
- Analyzing the efficacy of sexual harassment laws in the workplace
- Employee mobility across EU countries — a legal overview.
- Employment laws concerning the disabled in the UK — policies, and practices
- Equality Act 2010 and the rights of disabled
- A comprehensive study of the right to fair labor practices in the UK
- Unfair Vs Wrongful — what offers greater protection under employment laws
- Zero-hour contracts — significance and ways to improve
Medical law and ethics thesis topics
Medical law focuses on the rights and responsibilities of patients and medical professionals. Some exciting areas of medical law that you can focus on include patient confidentiality, patient consent, negligence, professional malpractice, failure in diagnosing, treatment malpractices leading to injury or death, and patient defamation among other topics.
- Laws governing organ retention — pros and cons
- Organ transplantation — A comprehensive study of governing laws in the US.
- Abortion — A comprehensive study of governing laws and stages when abortion is allowed or forbidden in the UK.
- Do judges handling medical disputes need special education to ensure fact-based judgments?
- Forced sterilization — laws, implementation, and who is to be targeted?
- Laws governing medical research — a comprehensive study
- Disputes arising due to medical complications during surgeries — legal implications
- Unregistered medical intervention — Legal implications in the US
- Electronic fetal monitoring and concerning laws.
- Medical ethics in practice concerning medical law
- Assisted suicide — the legal, ethical, and medical perspectives
- Lawsuits and their effect on the commitment and dedication of medical practitioners
- Biobanks — The associated legal and ethical challenges
- Is it possible for medical practitioners to treat mental disorders without bias?
- Laws against animal cruelty during medical research — a case study
Family law thesis topics
Besides marriage, divorce, custody, compensation, and alimony, you can cover several other interesting aspects of family law in your dissertation. Given below are some examples of topics you can explore:
- UK Family Law — Changes over the past five decades.
- Human rights in countries following religious family laws
- Family lawsuits and how they are impacted by culture
- Domestic violence and its effects on men Vs women
- Deciding custody in divorce cases and the importance of the child’s desire in influencing the court’s decision
- Divorce law and how it has impacted the number of divorces
- Child neglect and its legal implications in the US
- Child justice Vs family justice: Evaluating the compatibility
- What are the factors that prevent couples from seeking a divorce?
- US family law — is it due for reforms?
- Family law and its provisions when a divorced parent wishes to move abroad with the child
- Cohabitation Law in the US and is it due for reforms
- Divorce laws — are they gender-biased or is it only a perception
- Custody rights when the child has learning disabilities — a comprehensive overview
- Do Islamic traditions impact family laws of UK-based Muslims
- UK family laws governing financial decisions in cases of dementia and forced separation
- Rights of children to have a family life in non-marital families
- Family laws governing marriage and divorce in transgender people — a comparison of US and UK
- Legal implications of non-consensual adoption in the US
- The role of grandparents in the social fabric and provisions in the Family law
The topics mentioned above are great examples of what you can write on. However, if you are still confused, are running against time, have too much on your platter, or are simply unsure how to proceed to feel free to take law thesis help from some of the best-rated writers we have on board.
Feel free to ask for a sample from the professional you shortlist, and we will be happy to assist you all the way. Get in touch with us online or call us for help with a research paper. We have a team of experienced writers who offer high-quality, original work done to perfection. Our services are available at cheap and affordable rates as we are aware that we are assisting college students. So go ahead and connect with us for quality assistance to get you good grades and a stress-free time to focus on your academic commitments.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- How It Works
213 In Depth Law Thesis Topics For Perfect Score
Universities around the world require learners to complete papers on law thesis topics when pursuing advanced legal studies. Completing this task is both stressful and exciting because of the reward of writing a quality paper. However, selecting a title for your project, researching it, and writing is not easy. For this reason, students should select interesting legal topics to enjoy working on their theses. What’s more, they should settle on issues that provide ample research scope. A thesis or dissertation is a lengthy academic paper. Therefore, learners should select topic ideas they can manage and work with comfortably over time. Here are sample topics for learners with difficulties selecting topics for their dissertations.
Interesting Law Topics for Theses
Perhaps, you’re looking for exciting topics to form the basis of your academic papers. In that case, consider these exciting law dissertation topics for inspiration.
- Examining presumption validity resulting advancement and trusts have acquired defunct status requiring their abolishment
- How Harison vs. Gibson decision changed the intention certainty law
- Investment trustee powers: Examining the financial benefits considerations by the courts
- Examining the courts’ attitude as shown in relevant rulings towards trusts with political purposes
- How the prevailing media entities’ attitude and the first Amendment rights to speech freedom advance the public interest
- Examining legal and moral issues surrounding abortion procedures on a long-term basis
- The ramifications of Roe v Wade amendments to offer adequate protection to the father’s rights
- Examining the conflict between public safety and civil liberties in the anti-terrorism legislation arena
- Analyzing the judicial review process from the weak vs. strong perspective
- Analyzing the law that governs the state authority to intervene in citizens’ private lives when a child’s welfare is in question
- How the law responds to domestic violence effects on male victims
- Examining the central trademark protection’s rationale as a way for businesses to protect brand value versus public interests
- Can the copyright system respond to intellectual property digitalization and the internet challenges?
- Comparing the U.K. and U.S. trademark and copyright law, including damages
- How viable is benefit-sharing as a way to regulate intellectual property rights?
- Examining the conflict between corporate trade secrets and business law
- Analyzing the role of customs and cultural norms in international criminal law’s development
- Examining the relationship between international law and national law
- What are the legal ramifications of authoritative norms breaches in international law?
- Analysis of the legal ramifications of a stem cell study to use human embryos for profits
- Should governments restrict journalists’ expression freedom?
- An investigation of the weak and strong points of the judicial review process?
- How effective are anti-corruption laws in your state?
- Abortion legalization- How the law treats abortion and the moral elements of the problem
- Relocating with a child- Discussing the legal gaps in relocation
- Assets division after divorce- How fair is the divorce law?
- Child protection from abuse and neglect- Gaps in the current law
- Child labor prevention- Legal mechanisms for detecting and preventing child labor
- Mediation role in family law- Should it be mandatory?
- Changes in the cohabitation law- Should cohabitating and married couples enjoy equal treatment?
- Can copyright owners and authors protect their rights under the current copyright law?
- Copyright law and modern art- Which contemporary artworks should enjoy copyright protection?
- Trade secrets protection under business law- How to ease the existing conflict
- National and international law- Which are the prevailing rules?
- Peaceful international conflicts resolution- Discuss the current international dispute settlement mechanisms.
- International law attitudes towards the self-determination concept- How to set a fair balance between the minorities and majorities interests
- Organ retention legislation- How to regulate the existing problems and controversies
- When should the international criminal court come into play?
- How domestic violence accurate picture differs from statistics
- Why does the law give severe punishment for some crimes?
A carefully selected example in this category can spark exciting research that will lead to a brilliant thesis. Nevertheless, pick an exciting idea to come up with a dissertation that will impress your educator.
Commercial or Business Law Thesis Topics
Maybe you’re looking for the best business or commercial law master’s thesis topics. That means you need titles that will allow you to focus on the legal aspects of the rights, conducts, and relations of organizations or individuals that engage in merchandising activities, trade, or commerce. Here are exciting business law topics to write about when working on your thesis.
- Do the current commercial laws in the U.S. need any change?
- How effective are the international business law programs in U.S. universities?
- How effective is business law in supporting commercial transactions?
- Does corporate social responsibility have a mediating role in companies’ performance?
- What are the impacts of international commercial laws on U.S. business laws?
- A review of the international business law use in new projects
- An evaluation of commercial laws for dealing with dishonest business managers
- Commercial partnerships- A closer look at the potential results and dangers
- Regulations for stopping corruption- A UK case study
- Analyzing pre-incorporation contracts- How they work
- Evaluating arbitration under business law- Understanding the U.K. policy practices
- What are the difficulties, significance, and essence of a commercial lease to business owners?
- Regular versus commercial lease- Analyzing its advantages and disadvantages for businesses.
- The role of the legislature in working and interpreting contracts
- Commercial law’s role in business framework establishment in society
- An evaluation of contract laws and their effects on businesses
- Verbal and non-verbal agreements in the business law’s context
- Analyzing business entity’s role concerning commercial law
- Evaluating business laws for fighting corruption in companies
- How effective is commercial law in prompting transactions?
- Copyright infringement- How offline and online law enforcement differ.
- Business partnerships- Understanding legal remedies, results, and threats
- Commercial laws for guiding businesses in energy projects
- How to work within the advertising law’s guidelines and framework when advertising online
- Analyzing the significance, role, and application of wills within the business law
- International vs. national commercial laws
- Analyzing pre-incorporation contracts
- Assessing the effectiveness of international commercial law
- Why investing in a business’ trademark and copyright application matters
- Commercial law arbitration- An in-depth evaluation and analysis of policy practice
- An evaluation of anti-corruption business regulations using a relevant case study
- Corporate social responsibility laws for businesses
- Termination agreements- Significance, role, and application in business transactions
- Contract law- Role and interpretations in business transactions
- Director’s guarantee- Transaction structure and role within business law
- Analyzing business entity’s role in commercial law
- Exploring loopholes in international laws that allow business corruption
- Consumer protection in Wales and England after the Brexit era
- Investigating Wales and England’s insolvency laws for addressing insolvency instances
- A legal assessment of the commercial law role in sustaining public-private partnerships, depending on what happened during the Carillion Collapse
These research topics in law can be the basis of a paper that will earn you the top grade. However, be ready to research your preferred idea and analyze information to write a high-quality essay.
International Law Thesis Topics for Research
Some learners find international law research topics quite interesting because they focus on legal aspects of businesses during global pandemics and wars. You can also focus on the economic trade aspect when writing a thesis on any of these ideas. Here are exciting topics for a law school thesis in this category.
- Precedence importance during international court hearings
- Internet and digital legislation- Future forecasts
- How civil liberties and public safety relate within the context of international laws
- Analyzing the principles of the international law
- Challenges facing different parties during the application of the Vienna Convention on the international sale of good contracts
- Assessing business implications of the future possibilities of the U.K. and U.S. military cooperation in fighting terror
- When international law allows a country to intervene in another nations’ affairs
- A closer look at the human rights gaps from the international law’s perspective
- Analyzing the U.S. involvement in Iraq- Was it a violation of international law or a justified move?
- How to enforce international law in third world countries
- Analysis of international tribunals’ efficiency in addressing war crimes
- International human rights hearings- Why precedence matters
- Challenges facing parties in contracts relating to the international sale of goods and the application of the Vienna Convention
- Why the international law matters for the digital laws and internet legislation
- How effective are international tribunals in taking action for war crimes?
- Analyzing conditions when the international law permits a country to intervene in trade matters
- Assessing the international criminal laws’ principles and why change could be necessary
- Analyzing the human rights law from an international perspective
- Human rights and international law violations- A case study of U.S. involvement in Iraq
- The impact of civil liberties as enshrined in the international law on public safety
- International consumer protection during the post-Brexit era
- International laws for protecting consumers against unlawful communication during the war
- International laws for protecting and rescuing the refugees’ human rights at sea
- Top five offenders facing the international law and their offenses
- How the international law can protect child soldiers during the Israel-Palestine conflict
- NATO ethics in Afghanistan and Iraq
- Human rights violation in Africa- How the international law can address them
- Describe the appeal process for the international criminal court
- Analyzing the international tribunals
- XYZ corporation’s transnational crimes- A detailed analysis
These are exciting thesis topics for law students interested in international law. Nevertheless, learners must invest time and effort in research and data analysis to develop quality papers.
Controversial Law Topics for Academic Research
Some law master thesis topics can trigger debates while encouraging learners to take a stance in support or against an idea. Such titles can include constitutional law paper topics and sensitive matters in different legal study fields. Here are exciting topics in this category.
- Does the world need gun law review?
- Analyzing human rights vis a vis the Islamic criminal law
- Transgender rights- Solving injustice and discrimination arising from inequality.
- Legal implications of blocking international students temporarily during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Deportation protection and the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program
- Immigration reforms and restrictions- Change and improvement scope
- Black lives matter- Analyzing the lack of legal or political repercussions of custody deaths.
- Abortion- Legal angles for pro-life and pro-choice
- Analysis of religious freedom in law and the choice freedom to deny person services depending on their religion
- Addictive opioids prescription as legal painkillers- Justifications and the aftermath
- The legal framework for animal research
- Vaccine administration from the legal implications perspectives, non-compliance and compliance, parental and herd immunity’s duty
- Privacy rights- Conflict between public safety versus individual privacy
- Free market capitalization- Free trade versus government regulations
- Analyzing government regulations, environmental support policies, and economic costs
- Equal minimum wage system- Legal parameters, remedies, and controversies
- Legalizing marijuana for recreational and medicinal usage
- White supremacy- How this political ideology affects the economic and legal framework
- The legal justification of capital punishment
- Marriage equality act- Analyzing responsibilities and rights in a same-sex marriage.
- The ethics of capital punishment
- Law code and mental hospitals
- Analyzing the legal implications of sniffer dog practices
- College violence causes and legal implications
- Legal code in different states in America
- Crime propaganda and modern music culture- Using the law to address the emerging issues.
- Is the law biased against African-Americans?
- The limited rights for police officers
- The importance of eyewitness evidence
- How developing countries can improve business laws’ effectiveness
- Does the world have more female lawyers than males?
- Trade union role in championing for the workers’ rights
- Effects of technology on business laws’ viability
- Impact of coronavirus on business laws
- Why employees deserve a role in business laws’ formulation
- Why business laws are employee-oriented instead of siding with team members
- Business laws and their role in preventing malicious competition
- Can business law undermine women’s empowerment?
- Should every country have unique business laws for foreign investors?
- How sufficient are business laws in covering cyber espionage?
These are controversial ideas to explore in dissertations. However, learners should prepare to research extensively to write winning papers.
Child in Conflict with the Law Thesis Topics
This category comprises titles relating to legal issues concerning kids that contravene the law by committing juvenile offenses. Nevertheless, they are exciting law enforcement topics to explore when pursuing masters or Ph.D. studies.
- Analysis of children’s rights against economic exploitation and harmful work
- Laws and human rights that support children during illegal migration
- Exploitation and violence leading children into legal conflicts
- Court procedures for children that break the law
- Abuse and exploitation of children that violate the law and how to prevent it
- Rights and legal protection for children during cases
- The legal framework for guiding the people handling children’s cases
- How to deal with children involved in legal matters in metro cities
- How to improve legal protection for children during conflict
- Analysis of the measures for reintegrating children into the society after conflicting with the law
- Laws for facilitating children’s rehabilitation after conflicting with the law
Criminal Law Thesis Topics
Criminal law entails the study of rules governing individuals’ prosecution after committing crimes. Here are titles to consider in this category.
- Crimes and religious laws in developing countries
- Analyzing the war against terror and potential crimes
- Examining racial prejudice during incarceration
- Police interrogations- Legal framework, human rights, and principles
- Balancing legal rights for the defendant and the victim during a lawsuit
- Anatomy justification with the defendant and victim in mind
- Challenges in the crime’s nature identification and distribution- A case study analysis
- Criminal theory- A review for exploring crime and morality connection
- Death penalty justification, research, and history
- Male and female rape legislations- Evaluating the critical differences
- Lie detectors use in criminal law courts- Assessing their efficacy
- How to protect victims in case of manslaughter cases
- Analyzing crime-related factors best left out of the court
Family Law Thesis Topics
Family law has several ideas to explore in a dissertation. Here are examples of such notions.
- Grandparents’ role in the family law provisions and social fabrics
- Non-consensual adoption- What are the legal implications?
- Family laws that govern divorce and marriage for transgender individuals
- Children rights to family life within non-marital families
- Impacts of Islamic traditions on family laws for UK-based Muslims
- Custody rights for children with learning disabilities
- Divorce laws- Are they perception or gender-based?
Medical Law and Ethics Thesis Topics
This field focuses on the responsibilities and rights of medical professionals and patients. Here are brilliant ideas to consider in this category.
- Laws governing medical research- Animals protection against cruelty
- Can medical practitioners treat mental disorders without bias?
- Ethical and legal challenges relating to bio-banks
- Effects of lawsuits on medical practitioners dedication and commitment
- Medical, ethics, and legal perspectives of assisted suicide
- Medical laws and ethics in practice
Sports Law Topics
If interested in sports law, consider these topics for your papers.
- Coaches employment laws and contracts
- Policies facilitating rights protection and promotion for transgender athletes
- Rules for fighting sexual harassment in the sporting field
- Constitutional rights for student-athletes
- Practices and policies of sports law in the U.S.
- The legal stance for national sports governing bodies
- Lifestyle sports- What sports laws say about them
- Analyzing the negligence of cheerleading teams with a case study
- The role of legal aspects of sporting events at the international level
- Transnational sports’ management perspective
- Laws relating to club sports management
- Match-fixing and the related laws
- Legal issues relating to sportsperson marketing
- The legal implications of sports promotion aids
Hot Thesis Topics in Employment Law
Do you want to write a thesis on employment law? If yes, consider any of these ideas for your paper.
- How to improve zero-hour contracts
- Wrongful vs. unfair- What provides better protection within the employment laws
- Studying the right to fair employment practices
- 2010 Equality Act and the disabled people’s rights
- Employment laws for the disabled
- Effectiveness of sexual harassment laws at the workplace
- Gender variations in employment regulations and laws
- How working parents benefit from Flexible Working Regulations 2002
- The convergence of employment laws with religion
- The impact of trade unions on businesses
- Unfair dismissal- What the law says
- Legal aspects of social work employment
If you pick any of these topics and then have difficulties down the road, seek help with research paper from the best-rated online experts. Using affordable thesis help, you can complete your project on any of these titles. Nevertheless, work with a professional company to get cheap and quality assistance.
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *
Comment * Error message
Name * Error message
Email * Error message
Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.
As Putin continues killing civilians, bombing kindergartens, and threatening WWIII, Ukraine fights for the world's peaceful future.
Ukraine Live Updates
- How it works
How much will your dissertation cost?
Have an expert academic write your dissertation paper!
Get unlimited topic ideas and a dissertation plan for just £45.00
Order topics and plan
Get 1 free topic in your area of study with aim and justification
Yes I want the free topic
Law Dissertation Topics
Published by Owen Ingram at January 9th, 2023 , Revised On October 5, 2023
Law dissertations can be demanding because of the need to find relevant regulations, cases, and data to address the research problem successfully. It is of utmost importance to critically examine facts before framing the research questions .
Selection of the most appropriate legal terms and legal authorities, whether online or in print, can be challenging especially if you have not tackled a law dissertation project before.
To help you select an intriguing law dissertation topic, our expert writers have suggested some issues in various areas of law, including trust law, EU law, family law, employment and equality law, public law, tort law, intellectual property rights, commercial law, evidence, and criminal law, and human rights and immigration law.
These topics have been developed by PhD-qualified writers of our team , so you can trust to use these topics for drafting your dissertation.
Review step by step guide on how to write your own dissertation here.
You may also want to start your dissertation by requesting a brief research proposal from our writers on any of these topics, which includes an introduction to the topic, research question , aim and objectives , literature review along with the proposed methodology of research to be conducted. Let us know if you need any help in getting started.
Check our dissertation examples to get an idea of how to structure your dissertation .
Review the full list of dissertation topics for 2022 here.
2022 Law Dissertation Topics
Topic 1: the role of international criminal laws in reducing global genocide.
Research Aim: This study aims to find the role of international criminal laws in reducing global genocide. It will be an exploratory study identifying the explicit and implicit effects of international criminal laws on the worldwide genocide. It will analyse different incidents of international genocide and find out how international criminal laws played a positive role to reduce these incidents. Lastly, it will recommend possible changes in the international criminal laws to effectively mitigate global genocide. And it will be done by comparing criminal laws of world-leading powers to reduce genocide.
Topic 2: Impact of Anti-Racism Employment Laws on Organisational Culture- A Comparative Study on the Anti-Racism Employment Laws in the US and Canada
Research Aim: This research aims to find the impact of anti-racism employment laws on the organisational culture in the US and Canada in a comparative analysis. It will identify the change in employees’ behaviour after implementing anti-racism laws. Moreover, it will find whether employees gleefully welcomed these laws or showed resistance. And how do these laws affect the organisations’ performance that strictly implemented them?
Topic 3: Globalization, international business transactions, and commercial law- A perspective from literature.
Research Aim: Students and practitioners can find the law of international business transactions as a subfield within a broader field of international commercial law to be somewhat amorphous.
This study will explain the impact of globalization on international business transactions and commercial law by establishing some necessary links between the study of transnational business law and related fields of international studies. This study also aims to address theories about foreign business regulation, such as the idea that it is free of power politics. For the collection of data existing literature will be studied. And the methodology of this research will rely on existing previous literature.
Topic 4: Investigating the impact of competition law on the businesses in the UK- Post Brexit
Research Aim: This study aims to investigate the impact of competition laws on businesses in the Post-Brexit UK. The proposed study will not only analyze the performance of the businesses with the current competition laws. But also analyze the impact of possible changes in competition laws on the businesses in the post-Brexit UK. And it will also incorporate the possible difference of changes in competition laws in deal, no-deal, hard deal, and soft deal scenarios. This way of individually analyzing the difference of competition laws due to the status of the UK’s deal with the EU will give better insights into how businesses will be affected by these laws in the post-Brexit UK.
Topic 5: A comparison between Islamic and contemporary laws against rape. Which law is the most effective in preventing this horrific crime?
Research Aim: Since several years, marital and non-marital relations in Muslim majority countries have been a source of controversy. Under Islamic law, it is strictly forbidden for a Muslim, or even non-Muslim to engage in illicit sexual relations with the opposite gender under any situation. The current study will help us understand the concepts presented in Islamic laws about rape cases. In this context, a comparative analysis of Islamic and contemporary law will be explained. It will also identify efficient and effective strategies to prevent this horrific crime.
Law Dissertation Topics 2021
Topic 1: the legal implications of the covid-19 pandemic on canadian immigration and the way forward..
Research Aim: This study will focus on how the Canadian government benefits from resources accrued from immigration, the impact of COVID-19 on Canadian Immigration, the current legislation on immigration, the effects of COVID-19 on the immigration law, the possible amendments that could help cushion the impact and the way forward.
Topic 2: Effect of COVID-19 on the United States Immigration policies; an assessment of International Legal agreements governing pandemic disease control and the way forward.
Research Aim: This research will focus on the pandemic’s effect on immigration policies in the United States. It also suggests the required steps based on the laws that regulate government acts during an outbreak of a pandemic.
Topic 3: Creating legal policies in preparedness for the global pandemic; lessons from COVID-19 on Canadian immigration policies.
Research Aim: This research will focus on how the COVID-19 pandemic hit the world and how most countries seemed unprepared. Historical background of the flu pandemic can also be made to assess how the world overcame the pandemic. And the need for the Canadian government or any other country you wish to choose can prepare for a global pandemic by creating legal policies that could help prepare ahead for such a period, such as policies on scientific research and funding.
Topic 4: The need for uniformity of competition law and policy in Gulf Cooperation Council Countries; An approach to the European Union standard.
Research Aim: This research will focus on the Gulf Cooperation Countries and their current legislation on competition law and its implications. Countries under the European Union’s competition law, the legal implications, and the need to consider such a part.
Topic 5: The need for competition law and policy enforcement; An analysis of the Gulf Cooperation Council Countries.
Research Aim: This research focuses on the Gulf Cooperation Council Countries’ competition laws and their enforceability. It analyses the benefits of enforcing the competition law and looks at the European Union uniformed laws and its benefits. It looks into the various countries, how the competition law currently works, and how it can affect each country’s economy in a better way or adequately enforced.
Topic 6: Provisions of the law on rape, the need to expand its coverage on the misuse of its provisions, and false accusations.
Research Aim: This research will focus on the law’s present provisions on rape and rape victims and the recent false accusations.
Topic 7: Summary dismissal of workers during the COVID-19 pandemic, the legal implications under the labour law, and the way forward. The case study of Nigeria
Research Aim: This research will focus on the statistics of people who were summarily dismissed during the COVID-19 pandemic based on natural occurrences, provisions of the law against summary dismissal, and its enforcement, and how this can be cushioned against future events. The need to expand the labour law to cover similar situations for the protection of workers.
Topic 8: A legal assessment of the settlement of international disputes through the peaceful process and its effectiveness
Research Aim: This research focuses on the mode of dispute settlement in the international community, assessment of international laws and treaties on peaceful settlement of conflicts among countries of member states, the methods of dispute settlements, its strengths and weaknesses, and the need to improve the current mechanisms of peaceful settlement in the international community.
Topic 9: The protection of minority shareholders and the majority shareholders' power in Companies, a critical analysis of the Nigerian Companies and Allied Matters Act provisions.
Research Aim: This research will focus on the law’s provisions on protecting minority shareholders in companies and the majority shareholders’ power. How effective are these provisions in protecting the minorities against the management of the majority shareholders and the way forward
COVID-19 Law Research Topics
Topic 1: law during the time of the coronavirus crisis.
Research Aim: This study will analyse the role of law and order during COVID-19.
Topic 2: Legal policies and issues during COVID-19
Research Aim: This study will focus on the legal policies issued during the COVID-19 across the world. Challenges faced by the public and government during the lockdown will also be addressed.
Topic 3: The role of cops during COVID-19
Research Question: This study will highlight the role of cops in combatting COVID-19 and ensuring public health safety. It’ll also focus on the risk and challenges they come across and how to overcome those challenges.
Topic 4: Justice during COVID-19
Research Aim: The entire world has been paused during the lockdown situation. This study will investigate the mode of trials, court sessions, and justice during the coronavirus pandemic.
Topic 5: Health guidelines and social distancing
Research Aim: This study will reveal the WHO’s health and safety guidelines.
Topic 6: Guidelines for transport, educational institutions, business sectors, and hospitals during the Coronavirus pandemic
Research Aim: This study will focus on reviewing the guidelines issued by the government for various public gathering places such as transport, educational institutions, business sectors, and hospitals during the Coronavirus pandemics.
Topic 1: World Bank developmental projects and greater accountability
Research Aim: Examine communities impacted by development operations under the World Bank Development project schemes using the project law model to understand the lack of participation and successful influence of these communities to improve accountability and good governance.
Topic 2: The right to bear arms: Rethinking the second amendment
Research Aim: Gun control and the right to bear arms has been an ever-evolving web discourse in the United States. The research aims at analysing how gun control laws have changed in the USA since specifically focusing on the 2nd Amendment and its original framework.
Topic 3: Rethinking the international legal framework protecting journalists in war and conflict zones.
Research Question: Is the current legal framework still appropriate for protecting journalists in today’s conflict zones? Research Aim: The primary body of law that is set out to protect journalists includes the Geneva Conventions and their additional Protocols. However, since the time they have been drafted and decades after, there have been conspicuous changes to the way warfare is conducted. It is imperative to examine this body of law in order to improve it as journalists have now become prime targets in war zones and conflict areas because of their profession.
Topic 4: A critical analysis of employment law of disabled individuals in the UK and what new policies can be integrated to increase its efficiency.
Research Aim: Employment or labour law has always been under the limelight. Many critiques and researchers have proposed different amendments to the existing law pertaining to labour and employee. The main aim of the research is to critically analyse the employment law of disabled individuals in the UK along with effective recommendations that need to be made in order to make the existing law more efficient and effective.
Topic 5: A critical evaluation of racial discrimination laws in developed countries and how it impacts the workplace environment
Research Aim: Racial discrimination has always been a controversial issue in almost every part of the World. However, many developed countries (companies) face severe racial discrimination issues that directly impact their name and brand value. Therefore, this research provides a critical evaluation of the racial discrimination laws, particularly in developed countries. Moreover, the research will be focusing on how racial discrimination laws are impacting the workplace environment.
Topic 6: A comparative analysis of legislation, policy, and guidelines of domestic abuse between UK and USA.
Research Aim: Domestic laws basically deal with and provide criminal rules for punishing individuals who have physically or emotionally harmed their own family members. It has been found out that many domestic cases of abuse are not reported to the concerned authority. Due to this reason, the main focus of the research is to conduct a comparative analysis of legislation, policy, and guidelines of domestic abuse between the UK and the USA and how effective both the countries have been to minimise domestic abuse.
Topic 7: Analyzing the negative impact of technology in protecting the intellectual property rights of corporations.
Research Aim: Intellectual property has gained significant importance after the emergence of counterfeit products coming from different parts of the world. It has been found out that many factors have motivated the sale of counterfeit products. Therefore, this research aims at analysing the negative impact of technology in protecting the intellectual property rights of products and corporations.
Topic 8: A critical assessment of the terrorism act of 2010 and its impact on Muslims living around the globe.
Research Aim: Since the incident of 9/11, the entire world has been under the pressure of terrorism activities, especially Muslims living around the world. Therefore, this research intends to critically assess the terrorism act of 2010 and its impact on Muslims living around the globe.
Trust Law Dissertation Topics
The trust law requires the settler to meet the three certainties, including the object, intention, and subject matter. As posted to a moral obligation or mere gift, confidence of choice can be best described as clarity of purpose. Some interesting dissertation topics in the field of trust law are listed below:
- To investigate the attitude of the courts to trusts supporting political agendas.
- To identify and discuss principles on which half-secret and full secret trusts are enforced? Does a literature review highlight circumstances where it is essential to consider whether such beliefs are constructive and express?
- The role and impact of trust law as asset portioning and fiduciary governance
- From law to faith: Letting go of secret trusts
- Critical analysis of the statement “Traditionally, equity and the law of trusts have been concerned with providing justice to balance out the rigour of the common law” regarding modern equity development/operation.
- Should the assumption of resulting trusts and progression be abolished in this modern age? A critical review of the literature
- A critical examination of the courts’ concern of financial reward in the context of “trustee powers of investment”
- Does the doctrine of cypress do justice to the intentions of the testator?
- The impact of the decision of Harrison v Gibson on the law of the clarity of intention?
- The approval of trustees in the Zimbabwean law of trusts
Want more? Read this.
How Can Research Prospect Help?
Research Prospect writers can send several custom topic ideas to your email address. Once you have chosen a topic that suits your needs and interests, you can order for our dissertation outline service which will include a brief introduction to the topic, research questions , literature review , methodology , expected results , and conclusion . The dissertation outline will enable you to review the quality of our work before placing the order for our full dissertation writing service!
European Law Dissertation Topics
European law has recently attracted wide attention from the academic world, thanks to the growing influence of European Law on administrative law in EU members. It should be noted that every aspect of life in European states is significantly affected by European law, and therefore this area of research has gained tremendous popularity. Some exciting and specific research areas are given below:
- A critical review of the European anti-discrimination Law
- To investigate the economics and history of European Law.
- An investigation of the European human rights law
- Investigating the impact of “Freedom of Speech” on the German economy
- Investigating the impact of immigration laws on the German economy
- How the French parliamentary sovereignty has been affected by the European Union
- Uniform interpretation of European patent law with a unique view on the creation of a standard patent court
- The impact of European consensus in the jurisprudence of the European court of human rights
- The impact of the European convention on human rights on the international human rights law
- A critical analysis of the tensions between European trade and social policy
- To investigate the European Union’s enforcement actions and policies against member countries.
- European Laws amidst the Brexit process
Read this Article.
Family Law Dissertation Topics
A wide range of topics are covered under the field of family law and the law of children. Essentially, this area of law takes into consideration the registration of marriages, statutory rights concerning marriage, the effects of a decree, void and voidable marriages, the impact of the Human Rights Act, the legal stature of unmarried and married individuals, and the case for reform of UK family law . Other research areas include enforcing financial responsibilities in the Magistrates court, enforcing the arrears of maintenance payments, the award of maintenance, enforcing financial obligations to children or a child, financial orders for children, and the Child Support Act. An extremely intriguing area of law that has gained tremendous popularity in the modern era, some specific dissertation topics in this area of law studies are listed below:
- Investigating therapeutic and theoretical approaches to deal with spouse abuse in light of the UK government’s latest research on domestic violence
- Unmarried fathers’ access to parental responsibility – Does the current law enforce rights and responsibilities towards children?
- To study the criminal justice process involving a child witness.
- The children’s right to participation – Rhetoric or Reality? – A critical review of literature from the past two decades
- To study the position of unmarried fathers in the UK.
- Does the UK Family law need a major reform?
- A critical review of the rights of married women in real estate
- Child welfare and the role of local authorities
- To study the legal and social foundations of parenting, civil partnership, and marriage.
- To examine whether the Child Support Act has positively influenced child maintenance?
“Complete this short online form and provide as much information as possible to receive instant quotes from our writers specialising in your area of research.”
Employment Law Dissertation Topics
Employment and equality law governs the relationship between the government, trade unions, employers, and employees. Employment and equality law in the UK is a body of law that prevents bias and negative attitudes towards someone based on their ethnicity or race rather than work skills and experience. Some interesting dissertation topics in this area of law are below:
- A critical investigation of the right to fair labor practices in the United Kingdom
- To determine the job’s inherent requirements as a defence to unfair discrimination or a claim – A comparison between the United Kingdom and Canada.
- The role of the South African Labour Relations Act in providing unhappy staff sufficient protection against unfair dismissals and discrimination at the workplace
- To investigate the impact of HIV/AIDS on employees’ lives with a focus on unfair dismissal and discrimination.
- To assess ethnic discrimination in the European Union: Derogations from the ban on discrimination – Sexual harassment – Equal pay for equal value work.
- To study the international employment contract – Regulation, perception, and reality.
- To identify and discuss challenges associated with equality at work.
- A study of the legal aspects of the relationship between employer and employee
- How influential is the role of trade unions in English employment law?
- A critical review of discrimination policies in the UK
Order a Proposal
Worried about your dissertation proposal? Not sure where to start?
- Choose any deadline
- Plagiarism free
- Unlimited free amendments
- Free anti-plagiarism report
- Completed to match exact requirements
Commercial Law Dissertation Topics
Commercial law, also known as business law, is the whole body of substantive jurisprudence applicable to the conduct, relations, and rights of sales, trade, merchandising, and businesses and persons associated with commerce. Important issues of law covered by commercial law include real estate, secured transactions, credit transactions, bankruptcy, banking, and contracts. An intriguing area of law within the UK, specific topics for your law dissertation are listed below:
- The impact of legislation for the regulation of investments services with EU economic area on the EU financial services market
- Handling regulatory involvement incorporates organisational structure and strategy.
- A study of convergence and complementarities concerning international corporate governance
- How drafting and diffusion of uniform norms can help to harmonise the law of international commercial arbitration?
- Convergence and adaption in corporate governance to transnational standards in India
- A critical review of the international commercial arbitration system
- Analysing the international commercial law on risk transfer
- The role of the tripartite financial system in the UK on economic development
- A comparative analysis of European contract law, international commercial contracts law, and English commercial contracts law
- Is the European contracts law meeting the needs of the commercial community?
- A critical review of anti-corruption legislation in the UK
- The problems of director accountability in the UK and the impact of soft and hard law on corporate governance
Criminal and Evidence Law Dissertation Topics
Criminal law can be defined as a system of law dealing with the punishment of criminals. Criminal evidence, on the other hand, concerns evidence/testimony presented in relation to criminal charges. Evidence can be presented in various forms in order to prove and establish crimes. A wide array of topics can be covered in this subject area. To help you narrow down your research focus, some interesting topics are suggested below:
- The politics of criminal law reform with a focus on lower-court decision making
- To understand and establish the historical relationship between human rights and Islamic criminal law
- Investigating the rights of victims in internal criminal courts
- The efficacy of the law of rape in order to prevent misuse by bogus victims and to protect rightful victims
- To assess the criminal law’s approach to Omissions
- To investigate the issues associated with the identification of the distribution, extent, and nature of the crime
- A critical review of the Bad Samaritan laws and the law of omissions liability
- How international criminal law has been significant influenced by the “war on terrors”?
- The efficacy of modern approaches to the definition of intention in International criminal law
- The efficacy of the law of corporate manslaughter
Company Law Dissertation Topics
Company law, also known as the law of business associations , is the body of law that deals with business organisations and their formation, registration, incorporation, governance, dissolution, and administration. Some suggestions for company law dissertation topics are listed below:
- Developing equity markets in growing economies and the importance of corporate law
- A critical review of English company law and its effects on member workers and creditors
- To investigate the essential aspects of corporate law.
- To study business responsibilities for human rights.
- Identifying disparities in corporate governance – Theories and Realities
- The external relations of company groups in Zambian Corporate law
- To study corporate governance practices concerning the minority stakeholders.
- Establishing and evaluating arguments for and against “stakeholder theory.”
- The importance of non-executive directors in the British corporate legal system
- Investigating the regulation of the UK public company
Hire an Expert Writer
Orders completed by our expert writers are
- Formally drafted in academic style
- Free Amendments and 100% Plagiarism Free – or your money back!
- 100% Confidential and Timely Delivery!
- Appreciated by thousands of clients. Check client reviews
Intellectual Property and Tort Law Dissertation topics
All forms of legal injury are dealt with under the subject area of tort law. Essentially, tort law helps to establish the circumstances whereby a person may be held responsible for another person’s injury caused by either accident on intentional acts. On the other hand, intellectual property covers areas of law such as copyright, patents, and trademark. Trademark dissertation topics trademarks directive, trademarks act, infringement of trademarks such as revocation, invalidity, and the use of similar marks. Some interesting dissertation ideas and topics of tort law and intellectual property are suggested below to help your law studies.
- The efficacy of intellectual property rights in the UK under influence of European Law
- The efficacy of UK copyright law concerning the needs of rights users and holders
- The impact of intellectual property right on economic development
- To investigate the right of confidence in the UK
- Does the trademark law ensure sufficient protection in England?
- The impact of European Law on intellectual property rights in the UK
- The end of the road for loss of a chance?
- To assess the success ratio of psychiatric injury claims in the UK
- Should a no-fault system be implemented into UK law or should the law of negligence apply to personal injury claims?
- A critical review of economic loss in 21 st century tort law
Human Rights and Immigration Law
The primary objective of human rights and immigration law is to ensure and protect human rights at domestic, regional, and international levels. With the world becoming a global village, human rights and immigration laws have attracted significant attention from academicians and policymakers. Some interesting law dissertation topics in this subject area are suggested below:
- To assess the efficacy of the common European Asylum system in terms of immigration detention.
- A historical analysis of Britain’s immigration and asylum policies
- A critical analysis of immigration policy in Britain since 1990
- A critical analysis of the right of the police and the public right to protest under PACE 1984
- The right of prisoners to vote under the European law of human rights
- Arguments for and against the death penalty in English Law with a focus on human rights treatise
- A critical analysis of the right to private life and family for failed asylum seekers
- The impact of UK immigration policies on the current education industry
- How beneficial the points system has really been in regards to create a cap in the British immigration system
- To study the impact of privatisation on immigration detention and related functions in the UK.
More Human Rights Law Dissertation Topics
Pandemic Law Dissertation Topics
Coronavirus, also known as the Covid-19, has become the most trending topic in the world since the outbreak of the Covid-19 pandemic that started in China. Here are some interesting Corona Virus or Covid 19 Pandemic Law topics that you can consider for your law dissertation.
- Co-parenting in the coronavirus pandemic: A family law scholar’s advice
- How San Diego law enforcement operated amid Coronavirus pandemic
- Pandemic preparedness in the workplace and the British with disabilities act
- Why In a pandemic, rumors of martial Law fly despite reassurances
- Investigating About the ADA, the Rehabilitation Act, and COVID-19
- Resources to support workers in the UK during the Coronavirus pandemic
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic:
- A legal perspective
- Navigating the Coronavirus Pandemic
- Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) and employment laws in the UK going forward
- Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) and employment laws in the US going forward
- Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19) and employment laws in Australia going forward
More Law Dissertation Topics
- A critical analysis of the employment law of disabled individuals in the UK and what new policies can be integrated to increase its efficiency
- A critical evaluation of racial discrimination laws in developed countries and how it impacts the workplace environment
- A comparative analysis of domestic abuse with the legislation, policy, and domestic abuse guidelines between the UK and USA.
- Analysing the negative impact of technology in protecting the intellectual property rights of corporations.
- A critical assessment of the terrorism act of 2010 and its impact on Muslims living around the Globe.
Hire an Expert Plagiriasm Checker
Uk’s best academic support services. how would you know until you try, important notes:.
As a law dissertation student looking to get good grades, it is essential to develop new ideas and experiment with existing law dissertation theories – i.e., to add value and interest in the topic of your research.
The field of law dissertation is vast and interrelated to many other academic disciplines like civil engineering , construction , project management , engineering management , healthcare , mental health , artificial intelligence , tourism , physiotherapy , sociology , management , project management , and nursing . That is why it is imperative to create a project management dissertation topic that is articular, sound, and actually solves a practical problem that may be rampant in the field.
We can’t stress how important it is to develop a logical research topic based on your fundamental research. There are several significant downfalls to getting your case wrong; your supervisor may not be interested in working on it, the topic has no academic creditability, the research may not make logical sense, and there is a possibility that the study is not viable.
This impacts your time and efforts in writing your dissertation as you may end up in the cycle of rejection at the initial stage of the dissertation. That is why we recommend reviewing existing research to develop a topic, taking advice from your supervisor, and even asking for help in this particular stage of your dissertation.
While developing a research topic, keeping our advice in mind will allow you to pick one of the best law dissertation topics that fulfill your requirement of writing a research paper and add to the body of knowledge.
Therefore, it is recommended that when finalising your dissertation topic, you read recently published literature to identify gaps in the research that you may help fill.
Remember- dissertation topics need to be unique, solve an identified problem, be logical, and be practically implemented. Please look at some of our sample law dissertation topics to get an idea for your dissertation.
How to Structure your Law Dissertation
A well-structured dissertation can help students to achieve a high overall academic grade.
- A Title Page
- Abstract: A summary of the research completed
- Table of Contents
- Introduction : This chapter includes project rationale, research background, key research aims and objectives, and the research problems. An outline of the structure of a dissertation can also be added to this chapter.
- Literature Review : This chapter presents relevant theories and frameworks by analysing published and unpublished literature available on the chosen research topic to address research questions . The purpose is to highlight and discuss the selected research area’s relative weaknesses and strengths while identifying any research gaps. Break down the topic, and binding terms can positively impact your dissertation and your tutor.
- Methodology : The data collection and analysis methods and techniques employed by the researcher are presented in the Methodology chapter which usually includes research design , research philosophy, research limitations, code of conduct, ethical consideration, data collection methods and data analysis strategy .
- Findings and Analysis : Findings of the research are analysed in detail under the Findings and Analysis chapter. All key findings/results are outlined in this chapter without interpreting the data or drawing any conclusions. It can be useful to include graphs, charts and tables in this chapter to identify meaningful trends and relationships.
- Discussion and Conclusion : The researcher presents his interpretation of the results in this chapter, and states whether the research hypothesis has been verified or not. An essential aspect of this section is establishing the link between the products and evidence from the literature. Recommendations with regards to implications of the findings and directions for future may also be provided. Finally, a summary of the overall research, along with final judgments, opinions, and comments, must be included in the form of suggestions for improvement.
- References : Make sure to complete this by your University’s requirements
- Appendices : Any additional information, diagrams, and graphs used to complete the dissertation but not part of the dissertation should be included in the Appendices chapter. Essentially, the purpose is to expand the information/data.
About Research Prospect Ltd
Research Prospect is the world’s most trusted academic writing service that provides help with Dissertation Proposal Writing , PhD Proposal Writing , Dissertation Writing , Dissertation Editing, and Improvement .
Our team of writers is highly qualified. They are experts in their respective fields. They have been working for us for a long time. Thus, they are well aware of the issues and the trends of the subject they specialise in.
Free Dissertation Topic
Academic Level Select Academic Level Undergraduate Graduate PHD
Area of Research
Frequently Asked Questions
How to find law dissertation topics.
To find law dissertation topics:
- Research recent legal developments.
- Explore unresolved issues or debates.
- Analyze gaps in existing literature.
- Consider societal or technological influences.
- Consult professors and peers.
- Select a topic aligning with your passion and career aspirations.
You May Also Like
If you are an avid photographer and wish to spend your life doing something that you love, which is obviously photography, you must be thinking about pursuing it further.
There are a wide range of topics in sports management that can be researched at the national and international levels. International sports are extremely popular worldwide, making sports management research issues very prominent as well.
Urban geography is a growing field of study that provides learners with a comprehensive understanding of how cities, towns and other human settlements develop and change over time.
- How It Works
Stanford Law School's Theses and Dissertations Collection
- Early Thesis and Dissertation of Stanford Law School, 1929 to 1956
- Theses and Dissertations of Stanford Law School,1970-1995
- Stanford Program in International Legal Studies’ Theses, 1996 to 2010
- Stanford Law School’s Dissertations, 1996 to 2010
- Stanford Program in International Legal Studies Theses, 2011 to 2025
This collection contains Stanford Law School Students’ theses and dissertations written to fulfill the academic requirements for advanced degrees. Historically, the collection of Theses and Dissertations were produced as part of the requirement coursework for receiving a Master of Laws (1933-1969), a Juris Doctor (1906-1932), or a Doctor of Jurisprudence.
Currently, works received from students are produced under two different graduate programs. Thesis are works were produced as part of the requirement for the Stanford Program in International Legal Studies (SPILS). SPILS was established in 1995 by Professors Lawrence Friedman and Thomas C. Heller, to educate international students, lawyers, judges, public officials, and other professionals trained in the study of law outside the United States. Students in the SPILS Program are required to do interdisciplinary research that affects the global community. The culmination of this program is a research project that each individual student develops over the course of the year under a faculty advisor, after which the earns a Master of the Science of Law degree. The research project must demonstrate the student's ability to employ empirical methods of investigation and must addresses issues in the international community or within a specific country. These can cover a large range of topics that analyze legal cultures, legal reforms, or public policy.
Dissertations are produced under Doctor of Science of Law program or JSD. The JSD program as we know it was revised for the Doctor of Jurisprudence in 1969 is designed for students who are interested in pursuing an academic career. Doctor of Science of Law Students are selected from the Stanford Program in International Legal Studies and those who have a postgraduate degree in Legal Studies.
All materials in this collection were donated by individual authors to the Stanford Law Library's Special Collections.
Collection Identity Number: LAW-3781
Finding Aid prepared by
Robert Crown Law Library Stanford, CA 94305-8610 Phone: 650.723-2477
- Last Updated: Dec 18, 2023 9:02 AM
- URL: https://guides.law.stanford.edu/c.php?g=1087208
- Stanford Home
- Maps & Directions
- Search Stanford
- Emergency Info
© Stanford University , Stanford , California 94305 .